Monday, March 26, 2012

Lanky dangly bastards

Lots of competition for second row here. I think every single lock of the home nations has a chance of getting on the plane to Oz next year. Paul O Connell is usually first on the list for most team lists however, he didn’t have loads of game time in this 6 nations so does he go straight into the Lions side? Everybody I speak to loves Courtney Lawes but I haven’t seen enough of him yet. Botha and Palmer have been impressive. Also impressive every time he takes the field, Ian Evans has come from nowhere this season. In a piece in this weeks rugby paper it states that from the Grand slam team he was the only one to have played in every minute of every match. Alun Wyn Jones has been amazing but I always find I expect too much from him and while he reaches a high standard doesn’t reach MY high standard. I think Luke Charteris will go next year and push for a place but I am going to go for Courtney Lawes as my other lock. His athleticism made him the choice and even though he is a massive pink doyley by getting the ball ripped away from him by a back, also puts in the hard yards.

Damn every time I read this back I want to change my selection.

As for my 6 nations team against them. I don’t think the Italian second rows stood out and I did think that locks such as Ian Evans, O Callaghan, Botha and Alun Wyn Jones played a lot better. So for my 6 nations choice I will go for Pascal Pape and Alun Wyn Jones – like it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Richie Gray? I'd plumb for Gray and Lawes.

Anonymous said...

Fergy,

As they say in sunny Garnant - where is your mind at mun??

Mr Northampton has never performed and could be thrown into the "high potential" bin of world rugby. aka Gavin H, Seb Chabal, Bobby Skinstad (he could play though!!) etc.

Lawes as you say has the backing of the English Press incl. The Daily Mail, Johnoo and Peter Jackson (Hobbit Fame) - however if we were to follow these officianados then we quite frankly would be speaking Bavarian, wearing leather trou and eating sausages - and as Meaty said 2 out of 3 ain't bad!!

Get that Englishman out as all that gliters is not gold I am afraid!

These views are my own and have nothing whatsoever to do with Amman Utd RFC!

Gregster

The Rooster said...

after reading anon i realised i deleted an entire paragraph etolling the skills. virtues and giraffe type running of Richie Gray. I am wrong - its Gray and Lawes even through my chastising from Mr Presley of the West

Spen the Viking said...

I wouldn't send Lawes if the other lock wasn't Richie Gray. I think together they'd make a great youthful, athletic and aggressive pairing. As you say, Lawes has a tendency to be a bit lightweight. As he's a total sicknote, you'd get an extra choice anyway because he'll probably get a hangnail during the first training session and have to fly home.