Monday, March 12, 2012

as the fug of the weekend clears

Above: Andy Powell - when i have nothing funny to write the trick is to throw in a picture of him
It’s interesting looking at some of the Lovechickens fantasy rugby selections to see how they saw the championship heading. I look at mine inparticular and realise that a. people haven’t lived up to their or my billing b. I am shit at picking fantasy rugby sides.

I am of course the biggest lambs cock in the world for picking Dan Parks to begin with but sometimes that complete klutz gets his kicks over, he didn’t, he retired and I swapped him……

In the fantasy rugby you are allowed at most, 4 from a nation so I loaded mine with 4 Welsh 4 French 3 Irish 2 English 1 Scotsman and an Italian. Pretty much if I am being honest the order I saw the 6 nations being. Yes the French are there or there abouts but they have been dull as dish
water. I know I singled out Fofana last week and yes he rewarded my Mystic megism with another try but so far (and I mean so far…as I don’t want it thrown back in my face when he scores 5 tries, converts them all, hits 5 drop goals and then fingers Kathrine Jenkins on Saturday) he hasn’t set the world alight. He hasn’t been a Jonathan Davies, Tuilagi, Bowe or a Hogg, has he?
I will leave the comments on players of the tournament till after but this weekend will be the making and breaking of players with regards to this tournament. England’s recovery and return to form will soon be forgotten if they don’t produce the goods against Ireland.
Here in Wales, the national side are being hyped up to a point where I started thinking last week that we are transcending rugby and sending Mike Phillips and George North to bring some peace to the Syrians, Alex Cuthbert and Alun Wyn Jones are being sent to Russia to ensure fair and safe elections and Andy Powell is being send to Japan to stick his fat thick head in the holes in the
Fukishima power plant. Saturday afternoon is when they have to deliver. Priestland is not looking up to scratch, our hookers still have to sort themselves out and so do the lineouts – this is the weekend that needs to happen. Scotland and Italy have promised much and delivered little but have relied on the fact that they weren’t expected to win the initial matches – this weekend is different, no where to run and no excuses left. Ireland could’ve been on for a slam this year, maybe a few players let them down, they cant afford to do it this weekend on an English team on the up and finally France, I don’t see any change of attitude or behaviour from the World cup but what does that mean this weekend – the French that played Tonga or the French that coulda and shoulda won the world cup final? Saint Andre reckons he hasn’t the time with the players but pursuing the same tactics as his predecessor seems a retrograde step so come this weekend his choices and his decisions will be seen as a success or a failure.
No excuses for all 6 – bring it on.

1 comment:

jeff 'league is great' baxter said...

dan parks? ha ha oh my word that is funny