Monday, October 24, 2011

a tale of Fly Halves

Above: Leivremental looks over to the French bench to see who could come on for the 5th best fly half on the team

Did I say the Kiwis by 15? Sorry what I meant was that there would be 15 points scored and hey presto I was correct. What a final and what a performance by the 30 players on the pitch and the 23 fly halves that were carried off in scenes reminiscent of a Tanrantino film rather than the best sport on this earth. Well the French certainly came to spoil the party and was very close to do so – Harinordoquy was my man of the match – he was all over the field. Trinh-Duc was also superb when he came on, his glide through the All black defence was like Fuzzy Williams through a lasagne. They could’ve won it and my deep rooted sense of supporting the under dog almost wished they would have – almost but in the end I couldn’t do it. This was more than a rugby victory, it was a victory for a proud rugby loving, slip on shoes wearing, mullet growing, whitesnake loving, 80s loving nation. They deserved it and they have to be proud of this bunch of players and the coaching team. As a Welshman I felt very emotional when I saw Graham Henry being interviewed – he started our revolution and I will always thank him for that and he got what he deserved. They say that he shed a tear when Wales beat England in Wembleyin 1999 – if that’s the case he must have shit his pants through crying yesterday. McCaw was immense but I thought 93 year old Stephen Donald who came on and settled things down. This was a great final and the best team in the final won it – I look forward to the next time they win it in 2035.

2 comments:

Spen said...

What a story for Stephen Donald. It was just a pity that the only shirt they had left for him was from the minis kit bag.

Spen said...

It has also occurred to me, that Aurelien Rougerie is what Mike Tindall would look like if he hadn't smashed his face up and gone bald.